OUR SERVICES / DNA BARCODING
Ocean Genome Legacy offers the seafood industry and general public genetic testing for species identification based on FDA published protocols.
HOW OGL BARCODING WORKS
1. Obtain an ogl sample collection kit
Kits include 2D barcode labeled vials and detailed instructions. The cost of the kit includes DNA extraction, PCR, DNA sequencing, DNA sequence analysis, and final report.
2. SUBMIT YOUR SAMPLES TO OGL
Samples can be stored and shipped at room temperature. No refrigeration is required when using our kit supplies.
3. OGL WILL BARCODE YOUR SAMPLES
At OGL we will extract DNA from your samples, PCR-amplify the DNA barcode region (cytochrome oxidase I gene; COI), sequence the PCR products, and identify the results using the FDA References Standard Sequence Library for seafood identification. All laboratory tests are conducted blind and results are confidential. OGL will issue a simple report based on US FDA protocols and US FDA-acceptable market names.
ABOUT OGL BARCODING
Why choose OGL DNA barcoding services?
- OGL testing procedures are based on U.S. FDA protocols
- OGL reports use FDA Acceptable Market Names for Seafood Sold in Interstate Commerce
- All proceeds support OGL’s nonprofit mission
- All results are confidential and reported only to the client
Who uses genetic identification of seafood samples?
- Seafood distributors
- Retail and commercial fish markets
- State and Federal regulatory agencies
- Members of the general public
SAMPLE REPORT DETAILS:
- the US FDA Acceptable Species and/or Market Name based on the FDA Reference Standard Sequence Library for Seafood Identification.
- the closest match in other available databases, if no FDA Reference Standard Sequence Library match is available.
- an ambiguous result or failed test. Note: The client should expect some samples (typically fewer than 20%) will not produce an interpretable result. This may be the result of poor sample quality, cross-contamination, insufficient sample quantity, failure to follow kit instructions, a hybrid individual, or other unidentifiable causes. The client is responsible for providing samples of sufficient quality for testing. OGL will reimburse the cost of the failed portion of the test kit when we deem those failures to be the result of technical errors on the part of OGL.
The results provided by the OGL SpeciesCheck service are the opinion of Ocean Genome Legacy, Inc. (“OGL”), based on tests performed in compliance with standards and guidelines for DNA-based seafood identification established by the US Food and Drug Administration(1), and with respect to USFDA’s reference library extant at the time of request. Tests are performed on the samples as received from the client by OGL and as labeled by the client. By purchasing the service, the client takes full responsibility for the condition of the samples and for any contamination of the samples at the time of receipt that may lead to a failed, misleading, or un-interpretable test results. The client confirms that the provided samples have been collected legally and in compliance with all applicable international, federal, state and local regulations and that the client has the legal authority to convey the samples to OGL. Upon receipt, the provided samples become the property of OGL. Samples may be entirely consumed or destroyed during the testing process and therefore will not be returned to the client. Results of the OGL SpeciesCheck analyses are confidential and are provided to the client only. The client agrees to take full responsibility for any and all interpretations, uses, dissemination and communication of the information provided by the OGL SpeciesCheck service. To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, the client hereby irrevocably waives all legal and equitable rights relating to all liabilities, losses, claims, costs, demands, actions, suits, damages and expenses, including but not limited to, claims or causes of action in tort, contract or any other legal theory, now known or hereafter known in any jurisdiction throughout the world (collectively, “Claims”), arising directly or indirectly from the use, interpretation, publication or distribution of data provided by the OGL SpeciesCheck service. In addition, the client agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless OGL and its employees, directors, agents and affiliates against any and all third party Claims resulting directly or indirectly from the use, interpretation, publication or distribution of data provided by the OGL SpeciesCheck service. OGL is not sanctioned by the US FDA or by any other federal, state, or local government or agency. OGL has no legal authority to issue certifications of authenticity.